Frequently Asked Questions
What Steps Can You Take to Troubleshoot Common Plumbing Issues Before Calling?
At A+ Drain Cleaning & Plumbing, we are always available to take on any plumbing issues you encounter in your home. However, there are several plumbing issues that you can repair yourself, provided that you have the right tools.
- Clogged toilets: If the bowl is entirely full, let it sit for a while. Many toilets will drain slowly. Once the water level is down a bit, try a plunger. Make sure to get a full air seal between the bowl and the plunger. It’s the air pressure that clears the clog. If you can’t resolve the issue, avoid liquid plumber as it can damage your pipes—just give us a call.
- Clogged drains: Many clogs are in the U-trap just below the sink. Place a large pan or bucket below the bracket (the pipe will be full of water), remove the U-trap, and clear any debris. If that doesn’t resolve the issue, we’re happy to help.
- Water heater not turning on: Check that the pilot light is on, and there is power to the unit (no tripped breakers).
- Garbage disposal not working: On the bottom of most disposals, there's a reset button. Try hitting that. If that doesn't work, unplug the unit, clear any debris from inside, and try again.
If it still doesn't work, your disposal may have come with a “hex key” (Allen wrench). Insert it into the blade access hole at the bottom of the unit and turn. You may be able to break loose whatever is preventing the blades from spinning. If all the above fails, you may need a replacement or professional cleaning.
What Causes Slab Leaks?
When there is damage to the pipes underneath your home’s foundation, you have a slab leak. Common causes of slab leaks include:
- Poor construction or insufficient installation
- Pressure on the pipes due to soil erosion or an earthquake
- Water with a pH level that is too high or too low
- Abrasion from rubbing against other lines, concrete, and gravel
- Corrosion that develops over time
What Are Common Septic Tank Issues?
Being aware of common septic tank issues will allow you to take early action and restore your home’s waste management system. Common septic tank issues include:
- Ground movement that puts pressure on the tank, causing cracks
- Tree root damage
- Damage from vehicles that drive over the tank
- Baffle collapse or T-pipe damage, causing soakaway contamination
- Hydrostatic pressure resulting in inlet pipe detachment
- Incorrect installation
When Do I Need Burst Pipe Repair Service?
Pipe damage is not always visible, especially if it runs underneath your home’s foundation. There are, however, warning signs to look out for:
- A sudden drop in water pressure
- Damp or dark spots on your walls, ceilings, or floors
- Water accumulation in the area of the leak
- Damp or rotting odors
- Sounds of water running or dripping
- Frost or condensation on exposed pipes
- A sudden and unexplained increase in your water bill
What Are the Signs That I Need a Professional Drain Cleaning?
If you suspect a drain clog, it’s best to address it quickly to prevent unsanitary conditions and moisture damage. Signs that you need a professional drain cleaning include:
- Water drains unusually slowly
- Standing water around drain holes
- Strange noises coming from surrounding pipes
- The presence of fruit flies in your home
- Unpleasant odors due to sewage build-up in your pipes
How Can I Prevent Drain Clogs?
Taking steps to prevent drain clogs will save you the inconvenience and costs of a drain cleaning service. There are several things you can do to prevent blockages from forming in your drain pipes.
- Don’t put fat, grease, and oil down the drain
- Install a mesh screen over your shower and bath drain holes to catch hair and soap scum
- Don’t wash food waste and coffee waste down your drain
- Use a separate bin for the disposal of feminine products, baby wipes, and dental floss
- Only flush human waste and toilet paper down your toilet
What Are the Benefits of Hydro-Jetting?
Hydro-jetting is a highly effective drain cleaning method that offers several benefits:
- Complete removal of residue
- Access to all drain pipes, regardless of size and location
- An effective method to remove bacteria
- Long-lasting results
If you have more plumbing questions, feel free to reach out to our team at A+ Drain Cleaning & Plumbing in Nampa, ID. Call at 208-899-8690.